Aspiring Art Students - College Advice




So You Want to Be an Artist?


     Hello friends and young hopefuls. I am JM and I'm a 3D computer animation graduate. Some of you may be ready to start your senior year of high school, wondering what schools you'll be applying to this year. That is wonderful and I am glad you are ambitious. However, as a 20-something year old I would like to take this time to offer you some advice that I wish I had gotten myself - jumping into an art program.



Take Some Time to Develop!

     Let me tell you that you aren't going to become a master in college unless you're one of those prodigy kids who does nothing but work on their material. It's possible, but it's also very difficult. You might want to consider letting yourself grow as an artist for a few years before you approach higher education. Trust me, there's nothing wrong with having money in your pocket while you work a normal job and further yourself on your free time - than taking a "speed course" and having your butt thrown into the bad economic state with picky companies. A good indication that you aren't ready is when you're spending more time socializing than working. This isn't a fly-by major - buckle down or get out, because you will fail at your craft and waste money.


TRADITIONAL TRADITIONAL TRADITIONAL!

      Yeah, I too thought it wasn't as important at one time either. I simply wasn't interested in figure drawing and the like, but you'll be surprised what a world of good it does for your creative brain. It's like muscle memory for your mind. You need to know the basics before you can ever be good at the rest. Give your brain some time to really develop this. Art talent is not learned, it is a growing skill. Practice opens up your mind to creative possibilities.

What these will teach you: 
Photography & Film - composition, color, lighting 
Figure Drawing - form, flow, perspective
Rotoscoping - the flow of animation, follow through, timing

Don't be foolish - prepare yourself


Know Your Craft:

     As simple as this may seem, almost all of us didn't know a thing about Maya (the 3D software we used at school) When I was 18, entering the college I thought was going to properly prepare me, I thought Poser was an actual 3D creation software. Take the time to google the crap out of your field and familiarize yourself with what you need to know. It will make the learning process a hell of a lot smoother. Get the free student versions of programs you'll be learning. They are out there, utilize it.


Know Your School!


     If you haven't noticed my slight jabs at the program I attended then I'll flat out say it. They won't teach you anything you can't learn on your own. Especially these days with all the tutorials out there. Know the school you're attending and treat it like what it is: a business. It's a business that is there to serve you and make its money. Ask the STUDENTS (in private) what they think about the school. The advisers will tell you anything to get your money. Be weary of private schools and check out what big companies like Pixar consider to be top notch colleges. Don't get left in cold with a $70,000 pile of debt with a crappy education.



Know What the Hell Sallie Mae Is


She is not nice. She is not human. She doesn't give a damn weather or not you have a good paying job. She will make your living situation after college a struggle. The student aids will not prepare you for this, much less educate you on it. It is a confusing system and you should stay as far away from it as you can.




Reconsider Your Options

I love art wholeheartedly. It is my life's dream to create things that will move people. However it doesn't always pay the bills. I had a great office job that paid very well before I took on school full time. If I had known better, I have held off going to college to get real experience. I would have learned on my free time. I had already been painting in photoshop for years - I didn't necessarily need to go to school. When it really comes down to it, it's about you and your drive. You can learn, you can become an apprentice and actually receive experience, you don't actually need a school to teach you. It's about how good you are at the craft, not how much education you've gotten.



Good luck hopeful ones! I hope that you pay heed to the very important factors you should consider before jumping into the real world.

"May the odds be ever in your favor."

Sincerely,
An Art Graduate


1 comments :

  1. I would like to suggest SBL Graphics that provides you the high quality Rotoscoping and Chroma Keying services completely satisfying the customer Requirements.

    ReplyDelete