Finally Accepting 11 into my Heart (Doctor Who)

   So you know how I was whining about Matt Smith and Moffat's new Doctor Who in earlier posts? Well, something has switched, making the 7th Season of Doctor Who a phenomenal one. Let's elaborate. 



    
     Aside from "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" - which I begrudgingly have still yet to see, the episodes of season seven have not left me unsatisfied. We're only
halfway through the season and I'm completely blown away by the artistry in this one. It's so well done, that I have even accepted the River and Doctor romance by the time she made her reappearance. 

     Let's start with the utterly compelling season premiere - Asylum of the Daleks. We're thrown with a layer of domestic issues from Amy and Rory that mends itself in a beautifully realistic one on one - introduced to a future companion that we can only speculate will be saved with a heartfelt rescue - and given the gift of suspense and mystery throughout the episode that guides you perfectly into a twist of a climatic moment. The episode brought magic back into the Doctor Who franchise that seemed to be lacking in the last two seasons. It was a "once a watch" experience that I was thrilled to have journeyed upon.

    It was to my glee that the momentum kept it's pace with the episode "A Town Called Mercy". A new alien race is introduced with a hint of parallelism to the Doctor's own past when a Kahler doctor is being called out for war crimes. As a plot enthusiast, I entirely appreciate when a story takes for consideration the elaborate layers it takes to make a realistic character with a past and well thought out personality. I feel like I'm starting to finally connect with Matt's Doctor. 

    What is this, Christmas? I feel like I'm unwrapping a perfectly picked present every time I see a new episode. Whatever Moffat and Matt are doing differently, I'm adoring it. Well done. 

    I have to say that I wasn't too crazy about The Power of Three. As many of you have already discussed, the episode was presented with too quick a resolution that it didn't have much impact. This being said, I also didn't get to experience Brain's character from "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship", so I'll leave this tidbit alone. 

    And now here we are with the last of the episodes until the Christmas special - Jeeze can I wait that long??? The good ol' farewell episode that Doctor Who is keen on executing with pristine emotional impact. I was honestly not expecting such a memorable send off for the Ponds in Angels Take Manhattan. However, I was delightfully proven wrong with a tearful goodbye between companion and Doctor. 

   Firstly, as it has always been, they take the time to stress the commitment between Rory and Amy. They are the epitome of loyalty - and that extra non-Doctor related connection is the refreshing fire to the New Doctor Who's franchise that it needed. A break from a companion fawning after the Doctor's affection. Amy and Rory are a story in themselves and the way that their send off went proves it. 

    And it was at this moment that Matt Smith proved himself to be one of the Doctors that I have accepted. After 2 whole seasons, he finally got me - and I am so happy for that. The way he shows the Doctor's devotion to Amy Pond is quite heartbreaking. Here we are reminded of how much it pains the Doctor to say goodbye to his beloved companion. I think he executed this scene with flying colors! 



   There we have it. We're now at the middle of the season and eagerly waiting for the Christmas special! I am so glad to say that my intense interest in Doctor Who has been vigorously renewed. Happy waiting whovians!


-JM

0 comments :

Post a Comment