The Importance Of College


Hello my loves, and welcome to my blog!

For my first installment, I'm going to address a serious issue that a lot of high school students today don't take into consideration: the choice of your college education.
I am making it my mission to inform students about the importance of research when it comes to choosing a school. Trust me, you WANT to research this.
To be fair, this isn't so easy. School's are the one's shelling out the advertisements and flawless testimonials that will knock your socks right off, but beware. Realize that this isn't just a school your looking at, it's a business.
That was what my problem was as a senior. I was very naive, being snatched up by a nearby college that promised my big dreams of creating magnificent art were right around the corner. You just had to cough up sixty thousand dollars in student loans to obtain it.
What I came to realize at a later date was that wasn't the case. In fact, I could have done just as well on my own through self teaching and end up at the same spot but without debt. These "industry professional" seemed to fall short once applied in the program.
Of course, this was an art school, so my situation doesn't apply to all. Although, it still holds a fair warning. Be careful. This is a service you are paying for, make sure it's the right one.
Here's a few quick tips on how to choose a nice school:

  • Find out what the employment rate of the school. (My school lied, so try to find out through a .gov site or something other than what the staff may tell you)
  • Ask the students! While your taking a tour of their "amazing" campus, sneak off to get the students opinion of the school. They might even have some better colleges to suggest.
  • Find out if what you want to do requires schooling. Perhaps an apprenticeship is more valuable. (I went into animation, and this is something I could have learned on my own with tons of tutorials available on the internet)
  • Be weary of "for profit" schools. (Thankfully, the Department of Education is cracking down on these. Unfortunately, I have become a victim already.) 
  • Do your research about what the school's accreditation means. Accreditation can make a difference whether you get a job or can transfer credits.
At least I can say I've gotten one good thing from that place: A man worth sticking with. Although, many walk out empty handed...
I hope the very best for all you graduates out there! Be wise, be thorough!

-JM

0 comments :

Post a Comment